Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cleanse, Week 1 Done - and a recipe for you!

Days in: 7/30
How I'm feeling: Empowered! Invigorated... exhausted. I can definitely tell when I haven't had enough carbs because I get so T.I.R.E.D. 

What's been tough: The giving up off caffeine and alcohol. Coffee and wine. Lifeblood. Two big parts of my daily life. I have had the WORST caffeine headaches, daily. Blargh.    

Weight lost: A schwack! I'm at 211. That's 4.8lbs! This cleanse is putting my innards through their paces - to put it politely I'm definitely cleaning out a lot of old gunk. And I'm feeling confident it is real weight lost. I'm not dehydrated.


What I've been eating: LOTS of colourful food. I am having a limited array of dairy in my diet - low fat or non fat milk and cheese, and that's it. 

I made an awesome pumpkin soup that has been a frequent meal. Clocking in at only 69 calories per cup, it's super satisfying, I can have seconds, and it's tasty, too. I weighed everything before putting it in the pot, and then calculated the caloric totals over at Calorie Count -you can see the recipe and nutrition facts below!

What else I'm doing: I've been drinking lots of herbal tea, and reading or watching things about people who inspire me to be the best version of myself. The reminder that I can do this is a good one.


Planning for next week: I've got a staff lunch, coffee with a girlfriend, and my home school facilitator visit tomorrow, and a very busy week leading up to Halloween. Oh, with Halloween comes that idea that there will be extra treats in the house. I am going to allow myself a few treats ON HALLOWEEN. Only on the day. After that, I'm back to being impervious. ;)

What I want to tweak or add this week: Don't eat within a few hours of bed. 
This is a killer for many people I know - most of them are people who have snack attacks while watching tv, then mindlessly munch their way though a bag of chips or something. 

That's not my issue. I'm not a snacker, I don't mindlessly eat, and I don't watch tv much, either. My problem is the fact that we usually don't have supper until pretty late in the evening. 

I like to have family suppers, and that's really hard when J doesn't get home until late. Annnnd honestly, eating before 7 is really hard when I'm so disorganized. My days are so full that if I just start planning my supper at 5, I'm hooped! I'm the only one who can fix that.

Why do I need to change? Because going to bed - and slowing down your metabolism - with a full stomach just means you're not burning all you could. Also, my cleanse dictates that I take the evening dose "three hours after eating". 

So, menu planning it is. 

Know what I'm cooking, and have things on hand. Check my list, and prep things the night before or the morning of... not just after work and home school is done.

I'm pretty sure that planning out my menu the way I plan my kids' school week will have the same payoff. I'll get things done the way I want them done. 

Guesswork is about to go the way of the buffalo.

*
Enjoy the soup! Let me know how yours turns out. I didn't include measurements for the spices, because that's the one thing I didn't measure. 

Harvest Pumpkin Soup


Ingredients (Makes 10 1 cup servings)
28
oz  Pumpkin (a big can of pure pumpkin)

7
oz  Potatoes, red, flesh and skin

3
oz  Carrots

2
oz  Onions

1/2
oz  Ginger Root and 4 cloves of Garlic

2
cups  Milk, Lowfat, 1% 

Directions
Dice potatoes, carrots, onions and ginger root, and put in a pot. Barely cover with water, and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer until vegetables are soft. 
Puree the soup (with the water) with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. 
Blend in pumpkin puree and milk You should have about 10 cups - thin with more water if you like. 
Return to heat and add herbs - I used pepper, cayenne, cumin and thyme to taste.


Key points!






  • Low in cholesterol
  • Low in sodium
  • High in calcium
  • High in dietary fiber
  • High in iron
  • High in magnesium
  • High in phosphorus
  • High in potassium
  • Very high in vitamin A
  • High in vitamin C

  • No comments:

    My weight loss journey