Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A new cleanse and a Kale recipe

I was sitting down to a lovely lunch of kale salad, and thought to myself, I need to share this salad!

It's kind of hard to share a salad, I suppose, without having you over, or coming to visit you. I'm totally open to that idea, but all things considered, it just isn't going to happen today. However, I CAN share the recipe!

This is the most glorious salad. It is good for a few days, doesn't get gross and wilty, and has so many vitamins it makes me giddy!

I've been easing myself into what will become a fairly intense cleanse-month. For the past little while, I've limited alcohol and caffeine (tough for me to get used to!), eliminated sugar, and have been eating only whole foods that are as nutrient dense as possible. Starting tonight, I'm going to start using the "CleanseSmart" capsules I got from my health food store. The idea is to give my body a good reset, while also doing what I can to get my poor over-taxed adrenal system back in working order! I'm pretty sure that my insomnia of late can be tied to too much cortisol. J and I want to start trying for another baby in a month or so, so this is all part of the plan for a healthy pregnancy.

I decided to make this salad without the feta, eliminating some fat and sodium. I also used less olive oil on my mix and I'm still very happy with it.

If you make the salad, let me know! I'd like to feel like I'm enjoying lunch with you. It's almost as good as you coming over. Not quite, but I'm okay with a virtual lunch for now!



Kale and Feta Salad

For the salad:
2 bunches kale
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small red onion, diced into small pieces
¼ cup unsalted almonds or pecans, coarsely chopped
¼ cup feta cheese

For the dressing:
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
Juice of 1 lemon

Wash and dry your kale. (Wash it well... curly kale especially can hold a lot of dirt.)

Combine dressing ingredients. Add kale, garlic, red onions to dressing. Using washed hands, mix and massage the greens well to combine, so that the greens are well coated with the dressing. Allow the greens to marinate for 20 minutes.

Add the almonds (or pecans) and feta cheese just before serving. Mix well. Enjoy!

No comments:

My weight loss journey