Sunday, February 19, 2012

I like running without anti-perspirant.

It's true.

When I am planning a morning run, knowing that I won't have to encounter any other people, I intentionally don't put on deodorant or antiperspirant that morning.

The notion that the toxins are sweating out of every pore makes me feel that my body is doing exactly what it should do when pushed to its limit. Yes, it's true that my liver and kidneys are doing the real de-tox work, and I drink a lot of water to support that work. But it is true that sweat does eliminate small amounts of toxins, especially environmental ones that settle into your skin. When I haven't worked out in a long time and haven't had a good sweat in a long time,  I notice that my first few days back at it really smells bad. My sweat is funky! Then after those first few days, it takes on more of a natural sweetness.

Honestly though, toxins aside, when I finish a run and I'm soaked through my shirt, it makes me feel like I'm getting the most out of a run. Exhausted, pushed to my limits, beet red and dripping sweat, I know I have worked hard, no faking it.

And when I climb into that hot shower and wash it all away, I feel simply luxurious, as if I've washed away anything that could ever possibly get in the way of my ultimate success. See me sweat? I can DO this. Know how I know? Because I am doing it.

There is something so very rewarding about just sweating it out.

No comments:

My weight loss journey