Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanks for the Food

I love Thanksgiving.

I love the extended family gathered in one place, enjoying food and fellowship. We play games like Bones and Bocce, sit and make bad jokes, tease and compliment each other and join in the work and the fun.

This year found us all at my parents' place: My parents and 5/6 of their kids and our families; my mother's mother and the other three of her daughters with their families. We brought our niece along as well, and she commented on the great ease she felt among the crazy relatives that filled the laughing house.

Most Thanksgivings, I find myself eating much more than is comfortable, just because it is there, and it is 'special'.

This year, with the baby pressing against my stomach, I just wasn't able to eat as much as I would have liked. Over the past few months, I've had to really learn to listen to my hunger cues, in a way that I never had to before. In the past, I could eat well past "full" and never have to pay the piper. I didn't get indigestion or heartburn, feel sick to my stomach, or anything of the sort. It didn't hurt to gorge myself on all the goodness of the occasion.

Now, however, I absolutely can't overeat without consequences. I get acid reflux, I feel sick. My stomach hurts. I need to stay close to the loo. All things that are good indications of the fact that I overdid it.

I was really happy to get to the end of the evening and not feel like someone could pop me with a pin. I was definitely full, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't so overstuffed that I couldn't continue to enjoy the company of others.

Hopefully, this pregnancy will give me an education that sticks.

I'm really hoping that I get into the next phase of my healthy lifestyle with a good sense of when "enough" is "enough".

1 comment:

redeemed diva said...

yyayayayaya! I didn't know you were pregnant! Yahoo!
i hear you on the whole Acid reflux thing--pregnancy definitely brings up some surprises with digestion!

My weight loss journey