Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Soapbox Preacher

My two and a half year old daughter is standing naked in the middle of a kiddie pool full of water, wielding a foam baseball bat and shouting, "Abandon ship! Abandon ship! Abandon ship!"

Makes me wonder what she's thinking.

At the same time, it makes me consider a few things:

1) She is completely comfortable in her own skin, and has every right to stay that way for her whole life. I wish I were so comfortable. Not that I'd become a front-yard nudist wielding a bat, but that I may just not care what the world might think.

2) If I listen to every loud nay-sayer in my life, my will to go forward will atrophy. "Abandon ship!" might seem compelling, as might "You can never achieve your goals!" or "You need to be size 0 to be good enough!" Forget that.

3) Enjoy every little moment. All too soon, time will pass you into a new season of life, and you don't want to miss anything precious.


Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

1 comment:

redeemed diva said...

Well said. I love what our kids teach us.

My weight loss journey