Friday, March 12, 2010

A Doctor-Induced Conundrum

I saw my doctor today. While he is a very good doctor, I've felt he's been too busy to really attend to me lately.

We had a good visit today, and he suggested that my hormone imbalance is connected to my low thyroid in general. He also said it seems I've been living with it for a while, and will likely continue to do so.


I was offered a drug that I am not willing to take (um, I'm not a transvestitte!), so my other option? He said that losing weight might help.


I told him about my plateau, and almost fell apart in his office describing the work I've put in, and the very little loss I've had to show for it.


He told me, "Well, the dietitians wouldn't approve, but you might try cutting out carbs. It will work. Then you can maintain."


What?  No! Our bodies need carbs!


Then again, I've been religiously counting everything I eat to no avail, and working out like a spider monkey on heroin. (Ok, that's a slight overstatement. Slight.) Nothing. Scale has not budged.  Dr. told me it is a bit of a vicious circle. Hormone imbalance aggravated by excessive weight, weight kept on by imbalanced hormones. Stupid. And since I won't take the drug that would give me a shemale if I got pregnant on it, I'm kind of stuck.



What should I do? 

What would YOU do?

7 comments:

redeemed diva said...

Have you considered going gluten free to change your plateau. It's a little bit of a mind switch but you can eat way healthier grains and cut wheat out all together. Plus, wheat sometimes affects thyroids.
Just an idea.
Good for you to saying "no" to drugs!
Praying for you that God will lead you in to all truth.

TL said...

Hi Diva!

Actually, I did a stint last fall where I was completely gluten free, and I enjoyed it greatly. I still weigh the same thing now as I did then, though.

I think I might start with a sugar free, refined carb free diet, but still have the "good" stuff. You know, the odd potato, quinoa, etc.

Thanks for your positive thoughts and your prayers.

Campinggirl said...

I think that I would make an appt with a dietician or a nutritionist and have them look at your weekly menu. Perhaps they will have suggestions on how you can change your food choices or tweek your work outs to help with your plateau. If you go to a gym they may have someone on hand.

TL said...

Actually, I've been to a dietician twice, and she just shook her head and said she couldn't tell me anything I didn't know. Not that I know everything about diet, but she agreed that I was following a healthy plan, and she was stumped. She suggested it was hormonal, and said I should go back to the doctor.... eep!

robin said...

I know it sounds unsavory and obviously one would want to be at peace with the notion, but if you're willing to wait to get pregnant, I would likely go on the pill or use alternate forms of birth control, take this drug (estrogen?), see what happens for 3 months or so and lose the weight. Then, when you're feeling healthy, get off the pill and have a baby in optimum health. "He whom the Son has set free is free indeed" John 8:36. We're not bound by law and God is gracious. That's probably what I would do (if I were working out like a "spider monkey on crack" or smack, or whatever. Ha! Good one.) and not seeing results. Getting pregnant before you get this all in order would likely just compound the problem. And you're young, and have time to have more babies.

TL said...

Thanks for the comments, Robin. Actually, if we were committed to not getting pregnant right now, we would just abstain from sex. I wouldn't go on birth control.

In any case, it's one of those things I want to have a few discussions with my doctor about. I'm not convinced that drugs are the answer, and actually, losing weight probably is a big part of the answer.

It's a vicious circle, isn't it?

IM said...

Reading your blog brought back all the times I sat in a doctor's office and heard all sorts of bad nutritional advice. The inferred "if you didn't eat so much and moved more" was always there. UNTIL I found the doctor I have now. Who took the time to listen, put me on the proper meds that I had needed for a long time (diabetes) and told me that I didn't eat enough. Yep. That was the problem. You have to eat to get your hormones to balance out, and it takes time. The hundred pound losers that do it in a year or less? Not me. I have to fight for every ounce, but it is coming off now! I am so glad you have the good sense to see that a low carb diet isn't the anser. By the way? I am Celiac, and gluten free food has more calories usually, but boy, is it ever nice to have a happy gut! Wishing you every good thing!

My weight loss journey