Friday, November 20, 2009

Waking up can be Habit-Forming

When looking for a drug-of-choice, why not consider the high of getting into a routine? Achieving that measure of control over your life can be a great success.

Thanks to my dear husband's work schedule shifting to earlier hours, I got the nudge I needed to start getting up early again.

Let me rewind a bit. With the economy dip came the inevitable slow-down of my husband's job, which is an industrial electrical company. There were definite cons and pros in the subsequent lack of work: J had 1/8 of the usual paycheque, but he had the opportunity to spend a lot more time at home with his family this year.

That came with its own challenge for me - to continue to get up at a productive time in the morning. Let's just say that I failed miserably. By July, I could barely drag myself out of bed at 8 or 8:30. J and I both fell prey to that deadly sin of sloth. Do you know how hard it is to motivate yourself to do anything, when your very day has begun with lack of contol and lack of motivation?

From July on, I barely exercised. Of course, I was active outside and kept quite busy, but the actual focus and control of scheduling work-out time just didn't happen. This Fall, when I started trying to make myself get into running, I ran into Sloth's tentacles, pulling me back to my warm and cozy bed, with my warm and cozy husband to snuggle with. I haven't quite achieved a schedule of running quite yet, as it stands.

Then, about a month ago, things picked up, and J suddenly had more than enough work. In a spirit of camaraderie, I started getting up to see him off in the morning; making his lunch and kissing him goodbye. And then J's hours got earlier. Now, he is out the door by 5:45, meaning I have to be in the kitchen making him lunch at 5:30.

The thought has obviously crossed my mind that it would be much easier to make his lunch the night before, and lazily kiss him goodbye from the serenity of my feather duvet, but I stopped that in its tracks. This would be, I thought, a good chance for me to start taking hold of my life again.

Fast forward to now, when I'm beginning to feel alert and chipper in the morning. Ok, I exaggerate. Most of the time, I at least feel awake, even as I snivel and whine and collapse, whimpering, into J's chest before I send him out the door and trudge to the basement to throw on a workout DVD. (I mentioned the other day just how horrible it is to get up so early and go downstairs just to torture myself with exercise. He responded candidly that is is really horrible for him to get up so early and go outside in the cold, and drive an hour to work where he spends all day running up and down ladders in the cold with only a nice sandwich -or five- from his wife to get him through the day, and then drive an hour home if he doesn't have to shop and then get home and have to haul firewood to heat the house up before bed and doing it all over again. Ok. FINE. I can't beat that.

Long story, just to say that I'm finally starting to kick sloth's butt.

1 comment:

redeemed diva said...

I love this post. ah routine...I love it! Now, not so much before. But, yes, now I love it

My weight loss journey