Monday, September 14, 2009

Running? What?


Apparently I'm feeling inspired to become a runner.

What. The. Heck. Me?

Run?!

I have convinced myself to try many things. Any things, almost. I have given myself few limitations or restrictions over the years, saying "I'll try anything once." Except for eating bugs, sticking my tongue to a metal pole (wait, I DID try that one), becoming a club dancer, and running.

I do not run.

For the record, I have always avoided the very notion of running, and even laughed at those crazy people who seem to get a kick out of it. Really? You'd run for fun? How nuts do you have to be? Let's be serious! And when I got tired of mocking people who run, I made a list of reasons why I could NEVER run:
  1. I have bad hips from 5 hip surgeries, and arthritis in both!
  2. I have flat feet.
  3. I have bad knees from my flat feet.
  4. I'm more of a sprinter anyway - my lungs just aren't made for endurance running.
  5. I might get dizzy and pass out. I'm not good at controlled breathing.
  6. I'd look stupid in the running clothes and shoes, and people would mock ME.
  7. I don't have time. *cough-lie-cough*
  8. I am too heavy to run - it would be bad for my ligaments.
  9. My beautiful boobs would bounce too hard and sag down to my beautiful toes. NOT what I have in mind for my 40s.
  10. I just, like, HATE running.
No running. No jogging. None of it. I know thismuch about it. Which is to say, nothing. And I was happy to NOT know. Happy to be ignorant. Why would I want to know about something so dumb?

To quote Ron Burgundy in Anchorman: "I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. "

So, when I suddenly felt the urge to become a runner (or jogger or yogger or whatever it is), I thought I'd completely lost it. I thought that if I let it be, like the last time I got a crazy idea, it might pass.

Turns out, maybe I have lost it, because I woke up yesterday morning still thinking that I'd like to run. It was the day of the Terry Fox Run (in my mind, known as the Terry Fox Walk), and I had comitted to 10k. Yay! A good walk in the beautiful Fall weather; that sounded good.

I had my 6 year old son with me, and he had raised $165 in pledges, so I figured the ball was in his court as far as pace-setting was concerned. And he wanted to run. Riiiight.

Of course, to keep a 6 year old interested in following through, I wasn't about to hold him back. So I jogged along beside him.

And I could do it.

5 k of it, without too many extended breaks.

Crazy! Crayyyzee! I thought.

And then I slept on it. And woke up sore, and wanting to run.

Then I picked up my latest issue of Women's Health Magazine. On page 132, an article caught my eye, and held my attention. YOU CAN BE A RUNNER - YES, YOU!

The huge title, and the slim, toned, beautifully intense woman in the photo made me think, "Why not? Maybe I COULD be a runner!"

The article sums up the bodily benefits of running, the list of things you need (um, shoes?), and give you a schedule for learning to run 30 minutes straight. Basically like the Couch to 5k that some of my friends have gone on about. (And almost tempted me with, once.) The article also talks about posture, and how to find the right kind of shoes for your foot type - a biggie with me and my almost-flat feet.

No longer do I have any excuses as to why I can't run. And you know what? I don't even want to make any excuses anymore.

Wow. I want to run.

No comments:

My weight loss journey