Friday, August 7, 2009

Baby Steps

Over the past week, as I geared myself up to coming back to my commitment to change, I started changing little things.

I am well aware that every little bit helps. Here are a few tips I've learned over the past 8 years...

  • Switch the butter and jelly to just jelly, and cut out 50 to 100 calories a breakfast.
  • Use a small plate at dinner even if you're not measuring your food, and you'll cut out 100 calories.
  • Swap your beer for a rum and diet coke, and cut out 50-80 calories.
  • Drink a big glass of water 15 minutes before you eat. You'll eat less.
  • Snack on veggies - to make sure you do this, cut the veggies up and put them in grabbable containers or ziplocks, positioned to the front and centre of the fridge. You'll eat less at mealtime.
  • Rearrange your fridge - put the healthy stuff where you'll see it furst, and move anything "bad" for you to the back. I keep my cheese out of sight.
  • Dish up dinner from the stove. It's not as proper as putting everything on the table in serving platters, but then you'll probably sit and think about seconds, instead of just refilling your plate.
  • Discuss things at dinner. Don't just sit there and eat.
  • Drink dry red wine - it helps to curb food cravings (for me, at least).
  • Drink all your water every day - 2-3 L will keep your system functioning at it's best. To do this, buy a waterbottle (or use an old juice jug) that holds all that water. Watch yourself empty it each day!

I made a drink discovery last weekend when I was trying to save calories for the steak dinner. When everyone else was having beer or pina coladas, I made up my own. I put vodka, diet cranberry juice, and Fresca (no calories) in a glass with ice, and loved it up!

I'm back on track, guys. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

My weight loss journey