Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Planning for Success

I'm not very good at organization.

That sounds pretty funny when you read that I was voted "most organized" out of all of my friends. If that's true, I'd shudder. Really, I wish I were organized, and I try to be organized, but that's not really the same thing as actually being organized.

I have the best of intentions. For example, I drew up a weekly cleaning chart, which details what needs to be done each day to keep the house perfectly, OCD-level clean to the outside eye, while clutter-busting the hidden Monica-from-FRIENDS-level of secret junk closets (only I have more than one). The list is printed up and hung in my kitchen, but honestly? Rare is the week I actually FOLLOW said list to my specifications.

Maybe I expect too much of myself? Or maybe I'm a terrible under-achiever. Or maybe I'm an over-achiever but an under-performer. Anyway, I don't think I'm very organized in real life.

I think I've just taken a step in the right direction, though.

A dear friend from the GDT on ww.ca has joined me in a menu-planning challenge. I say challenge merely because I myself will likely find it to be one in about a month.

She and I are taking turns planning out the menus for the week, listing recipes in one document, and sharing them back and forth. Which is great because I can plan for one week and eat for two.

Not only will meal planning help me to stick to better and healthier choices rather than the quick and easy and fatty meals, it will cut down on a lot of my stress. Living so far from groceries means I only get to a grocery store twice a month or less. My husband picks up the odd thing for me on his way home from work, but he does NOT like to do a full on shop (or really any shop) at the end of a long work day.

That leaves me with a lot of canned and frozen food, but not a lot of fresh. With meal plans, I can buy fresh veggies with the confidence that they won't go bad before I can use them.

I'm pretty excited about all of the good things this means for my family. And who knows? Maybe the little bit of organization in this area will spread to other areas, making for a happier - and more on-top-of-it - me.

1 comment:

Jen said...

wow, that is a huge undertaking, planning out meals for the whole week including recipes.
Good luck - I'm sure it will help you stay on track.

My weight loss journey