Sunday, January 20, 2008

Icky Chicken Hearts

Wake up call!

Until recently, I've done this weight loss thing pretty much just to LOOK better. I don't like the way I look, and I want to change it, and I CAN change it, so I am. Nothing wrong with that.

Lately, it's been a bit more about FEELING better. I started working out like a crazy person over the past few weeks, and I'm back to that point of just knowing that I never want to live without a healthy dose of exercise in my schedule.

As of now, losing weight is about BEING better.

I was cleaning chicken hearts for curried giblets, and noticing all of the globules of FAT surrounding the hearts. Big, chunky, thick, gelatinous mounds of fat. Some of the poor hearts were barely even visible beneath it.

I was appalled.

That got me thinking about my own heart. Could it be possible that I've got fat like that surrounding my own heart? There's not much room in my rib cage. It's little wonder overweight people have laboured breathing. If there's all that fat in there taking up space... ew. When I read something in Women's Health magazine about "intra-abdominal fat - the fat surrounding your organs that can lead to problems with organ function", that was it.

I've only thought about all the fat on the outside of me, but when I thought about the layers of fat that must be surrounding MY organs... I almost fainted.

Now, more than ever before, I want to lose this weight, burn the fat, and be all I can be.

Icky chicken hearts, I thank you, from the bottom of mine.

1 comment:

ALLA a.k.a green girl said...

wow... interesting post! Makes you think!
I agree, we never think of the fat that is on our organs, just what we can see on the "outside". And it is easy to ignore something that we can't see.

My weight loss journey